Powered By Blogger

Thursday 6 December 2012

London Town

What do you know? I flew from Singapore to London and survived to tell the tale! 'Tis a fairy tale to me. Never thought I'd do it. Just goes to show how little I know.
London is amazing. Ablaze in glory. For me, it's like coming home, especially at this time of year when it feels so right that it's cold outside.
Inside the Ritz Hotel Foyer all I can smell is the heady scent of fresh pine. All I can see is bright Christmas tree lights and chandeliers.
All is calm. All is bright.
Outside, all is hustle and bustle, Jess and I being swept along with the throngs of Christmas shoppers. We find gorgeous arcades. Penhaligon's Perfumery, complete with flapper girls behind the counter, draws us in. We visit Fortnum & Masons where I buy a Christmas Pudding. We have a glorious lunch with french wine and I marvel at the way the Department Store restaurant runs like a well-oiled machine. In the movement of the waiters I see a culture steeped in history - they do it well because they have been doing it this way for over a century.
When we get to Libertys of London I am exhausted and it's all I can do to walk around the 3rd Floor where the fabric and haberdashery is housed. More exciting than the fabric is the building. It feels medieval. The wooden stairs creak and groan with the weight of countless years of people treading upon them, as we walk back down to the Ground Floor.
Darkness arrives early in this country. Time seems unreadable here. As we make our way back to our little flat in West Kensington, Jess takes control and works out which trains we must take. I blindly follow, thankful that I have my darling girl to take care of the hard stuff.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Great to hear your comments. Love to stay in touch.